Monday, June 29, 2009

Week 5: Post 3- Phatic Communication

Phatic communication is what I would like to discuss as part of Ch 11. Phatic communication is a form of small talk that helps us appear social and gives the impression that we are interested in others. I am a victim of using phatic communication. I am a sales associate at a retail store at Valley Fair. One of the rules that were passed down from corporate is that we must know 4 things about a customer before they leave our store. In order to do that I usually go: “Wow, I love that belt!? Where did you get it?”, or “Did you have a hard time finding parking today? The mall is crazy today! J “ I am sure I have been a victim of phatic communication as well, whenever I am getting my hair cut, or getting a pedicure, 90% of the time I am asked “Do you have a boyfriend?” Typical question… It is mentioned that if we rely on Phatic communication too often, it can be detrimental for us to learn something newer and more interesting about those who surrounds us. What do you guys think about Phatic Communication?

No comments:

Post a Comment