Monday, June 29, 2009

Week 5: Post 4- Deliberative Democracy

Web Lecture: Deliberative Democracy
I have never known there was so much more information into democracy. I always assumed that democracy means every voice is heard and a decision isn’t made until a majority is settled. Out of the various democracies that were presented into our web lecture I have to say Deliberative Democracy stood out the most for more. Deliberative Democracy asks everyone to participate but it goes on beyond another level. This type of democracy also has all participants to present and listen to arguments. Every voice is heard. It is okay to disagree when you are trying to come up with a conclusion; they want to make sure everyone is happy with the outcome. Sometimes people’s opinions change because they were convinced otherwise. So working together is key in this type of democracy.

3 comments:

  1. I also favor this type of democracy. I think it is great that it gives a chance for everyone to speak up and be heard and also gives a chance for everyone to listen to what others have come up with and possibly change their perspective. I like that it wants everyone to participate, because I feel there are always those certain people in an organization that don't break out of their shell. They sit back and listen and let everyone talk for them, when they shouldn't be afraid and should let themselves be heard, because there are no right or wrong opinions and every opinion counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although, I believe everyone’s voice should be heard and counts sometimes it’s not time efficient. I've never worked in a corporation, but I recently read an article on decision making within the corporations and it seems as though they don't waste too much time figuring out what everyone wants. They always look out for the bottom line. This does not seem correct, but at times, it may be useful to do it differently. Maybe this will not even be called a democracy anymore. Regardless, everyone is important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favorite type of democracy as well because of the constructive argument component. I believe that people will never know the entire issue until they have seen it from all sides. This is why arguing in a constructive way is appropriate and helpful.

    ReplyDelete